BASIC FACTS ABOUT DWARFISM
– People with dwarfism are usually no taller than 4 foot 10 inches.
– The word “midget” is considered highly offensive.
– Yes, you or your children can one day have a child with a form of dwarfism.
– 80% of Little People are born to average sized parents.
– Most types of dwarfism have medical complications, some more severe than others.
– Dwarfism occurs in all races and ethnicities.
– While many members of the short-statured community don’t feel that they have a disability,
the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) protects the rights of people with dwarfism.
-Dwarfism can be caused by one of more than 200 different types of dwarfism with
an estimated 30,000 people in the U.S. and 651,700 in the world.
– Such terms as Little People, LP, Person of short stature or Person with a form of dwarfism are all acceptable. Most people with dwarfism see the word “dwarf” as acceptable. Most people would rather be referred to by their name than by a label.
– In the dwarfism community the word “average” is used instead of the word “normal.”
Example: “Average sized parents” rather than “normal sized parents”.
– Dwarfism is not a reason to assume that someone is incapable. Little People can do just about
anything an average sized person can, just sometimes in a different way.
– Dwarfism is not a disease that requires a “cure.” Most people with the condition live a long prosperous life.
– Dwarfism is not an intellectual disability. A person who has dwarfism is typically of average intelligence.